We believe that within each girl beats the heart of a change-maker. We are committed to encouraging, supporting, and celebrating the future women leaders of Edmonton through our Girls' Programs.
GirlSpace® is a program just for girls offered by YWCA Edmonton. It focuses on reducing the risk of violence in girls’ lives, improving their health and well-being, and setting the stage for their development into strong, healthy, and empowered young women.
The difference GirlSpace® makes
For women to become the best versions of themselves, they need to get the best start possible. Unique from their male counterparts, though, girls face high rates of sexual violence and a significant decline in mental health as they enter adolescence and young adulthood. This program provides participants with tools and resources to cope with these challenges, while increasing their self-esteem, confidence, and belief that they can change the world!
How it works
Each week, participants come together as a group to learn about a topic focused on the specific needs and experiences of girls and young women in Canada. Young women act as both group facilitators and role models, involving the participants in the design of each session so they can gain the skills they need to succeed.
Who can participate
GirlSpace® is open to anyone who identifies as a girl aged 11-18 years old.
- Northeast: Londonderry Junior High School (7104 144 Ave.)
- Central: YWCA Edmonton Office (#400-10080 Jasper Ave.)
- Southwest: Lillian Osbourne High School (2019 Leger Rd.)
- Northwest/West: Jasper Place High School (8950 163 St.)
- Southeast: Mill Woods Public Library (2610 Hewes Way)
Generally, GirlSpace® runs afterschool for two hours, one day per week, from September 2017 to February 2018. See our Program Schedule for exact dates and times for each location.
- Program: $200 for 20 weeks (based on $10 per week)
- Weekend Retreat at Camp Yowochas (optional): $130
Subsidies are available based on a sliding scale, as well as for newcomer and immigrant participants with Permanent Resident numbers. If interested, please enquire at the time of registration.
How to sign up
- Complete our online registration form; OR
- Download a printer-friendly version of our registration form and submit a completed copy to:
Wendy Salvisberg, M.Sc.
Registered Provisional Psychologist
Manager of Youth Programming
Email | email@example.com
Phone | 780-423-9922 Ext 306
Ashley Lim, R. Psych
Director of Counselling Services & Youth Leadership Programs
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 780-423-9922 Ext 292